TEDxStormont is set to return to Parliament Buildings this Saturday, 31st August, with a stellar line up of speakers from varied backgrounds such as journalism, law, peace-building, academia, music, business and the arts.
The daylong event, compered by Presenter and Broadcaster William Crawley, is expected to see 200 guests fill the Great Hall at Parliament Buildings with a larger than ever online following.
In a fitting tribute to murdered journalist and former TEDxStormont 2017 speaker Lyra McKee, her sister Nichola Corner and friend Stephen Lusty will individually take to the red spot.
Since its inception, the TEDxStormont series of talks have been viewed over 5 million times with Lyra McKee’s talk on religious and social intolerance viewed almost 150,000 times alone.
The overall theme of TEDxStormont 2019 is “Imagine” – with speakers looking forward and imagining the kind of future we could have together as a society, here in Northern Ireland and beyond.
Eva Grosman, Curator of TEDxStormont 2019 said:
“It has been less than two years since Lyra give her talk on social and religious intolerance which struck a chord with so many.”
“She was one of those speakers who was able to convey her lived experience, the barriers she faced and how she wanted to change things for the better. Her ability to communicate that message effectively helped spread it beyond the immediate audience.”
“We were heartbroken when we heard the news of her untimely passing. We felt that the right thing to do was to bring TEDx back to Stormont and roll out an event as a tribute to everything she stood for. Her enthusiasm and curiosity were compelling, and we know that many of the speakers taking to the red dot on Saturday will have watched her talk many times, studied it deeply and been inspired by her as they make their final preparations.”
“We are so grateful that her sister Nichola Corner and friend Stephen Lusty will be two of the speakers addressing the audience this weekend.”
“This year we have a phenomenal line up of speakers from diverse backgrounds who will no doubt light up the Great Hall at Parliament Buildings. This event sold out months ago and we have had great support from a range of public and private sector organisations who are deeply committed to proving a platform for new ideas and concepts about Northern Ireland.”
TEDxStormont Speakers Include:
1. Nichola Corner – Spiritualist and Sister of Lyra McKee
2. Colin Davidson – Contemporary Artist
3. Jess Dornan Lynas – Tech-founder
4. Orla McKeating – Local Entrepreneur
5. Saul Betmead – Creative Strategist
6. Siobhan O’Neill – Professor of Mental Health Sciences
7. Alice McCullough – Writer and Performer
8. Connor Kerr – Creative Activist and Campaigner
9. Deepa Mann-Kler – Award-winning Artist
10. Duncan Morrow – Academic and Community Activist
11. Fergal McFerran – LGBT Activist
12. Laura Banks – Lawyer and Social Justice Advocate
13. Stephen Lusty – Entrepreneur and Technologist
14. Tim Brundle – Director of Research and Impact at Ulster University
15. Una Jennings - Chief Superintendent
16. Tegan Nesbitt – Winner of “Talk Like Ted” Initiative
TEDxStormont 2019 has been kindly sponsored and backed by Urban Villages, Smarts, Herbert Smith Freehills, Allstate, Ulster University and Belfast Live.