Better leisure centres in Belfast are joining sport and leisure facilities across the UK in supporting National Fitness Day on Wednesday 26th September.
Now in its eighth year, National Fitness Day is a ukactive initiative, aimed at inspiring people around the UK to take part in exercise, whilst raising awareness of the importance of leading healthier and more active lifestyles.
Better leisure centres across Belfast are taking part, including Avoniel, Ballysillan, Grove, Ozone, Olympia, Whiterock, Girdwood and Better Gym Connswater, with a host of free activities for all the family, including:
- Open Day with Try It classes at Avoniel;
- Open Day at Ballysillan;
- Survive and Save Taster, including morning Group Cycle Taster and Tom Daly Diving Academy Taster at Grove;
- Open Day at Ozone;
- Open Day, including morning Group Exercise and evening Abs Blast at Olympia;
- Open Day with Group Exercise Taster at Whiterock;
- Group Exercise studio Open Day with instructor led classes in the morning and virtual class programme in the afternoon at Better Gym Connswater;
- 100,000 Moves Challenge across Better Gym leisure centres, with each person’s moves added to the real-time daily total through the mywellness app.
Conor McCallion, Regional Product Manager at GLL said:
“We are delighted to once again support ukactive’s National Fitness Day.
“Better Leisure Centres exist to provide affordable, accessible leisure facilities, to get more people more active more often. By supporting National Fitness Day, we are able to work alongside ukactive, aligning similar views to encourage people in communities across the country, to take part in physical activity.
“We have a range of exciting events taking place on the day, including Try It Classes and taster sessions, to suit people of all ages and abilities and we encourage everyone to head down to their local Better leisure centre and take part.
“Across our Belfast leisure centres, and using our Technogym mywellness technology, we will try and hit a set target of 100,000 moves as a gym total on the day. This will showcase our technology and help to build on our already great community spirit in Better Gym Belfast and I would encourage everyone, members and non-members alike, to get involved.”
Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, Chair of National Fitness Day organiser ukactive said:
“National Fitness Day is a powerful tool to raise the profile of physical activity and the role it plays in increasing the health of our nation. By getting people across the country involved we can help provide the initial steps towards continued involvement in physical activity.”
To find your nearest Better leisure centre, visit https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/belfast